Fyrewitch's knitting blog

Knitting is cool!

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tofutsies

I have this most gorgeous sock yarn called Tofutsie. I cast on with it yesterday to see how it would go using the same sock pattern as I did for my other socks. Unfortunately after about 4 hours of knitting on 3.75mm dpns it came to my attention (when I slipped it on my ankle) that it looked more like lace than a sock. Not too much of a drama, except that I'm pretty sure that one reason I couldn't get to sleep last night was because I was wondering if the yarn would work out on the size dpns I was using. So I ended up sitting up until 2 (yes, that's am) to get them to the point where I could actually have enough to get them on my foot to make a decision. Given that I spent more on this yarn than I normally would (the Yarn Harlot's "use the best yarn you can afford" mantra must be kicking in somewhere in my subconscious) I didn't make my usualy decision to just keep going, it will do. So there I sat, watching appallingly bad music on Rage (Dear Rage programmers, there are people up at ungodly hours of the morning, please for the love of all things rock and roll, put on some music that lived!) and frogging my lovely blue-green creation. I've now had a grand total of about 4 hours sleep (because the witchlet doesn't take the "don't wake mummy up" rule terribly seriously) and I'm about to cast on with 2.75mm dpns to see if I have better success. I should do, it's what the ball band recommended. So today I have learned that while chunkier thread can tolerate a bit of hithering and thithering with needle sizes, for anything under about a 4 ply the needle size on the ball band is more than just a serving suggestion. Oh, and according to the doctor I have faryngitus, and the back of my throat looks as though someone's taken to it with a meat tenderiser. Nice. Clearly I'm too boring to work up to laryngitus, but I'm all good with that. At least the antibiotics have broken the temperature so I can get back to the blankie today. Or should I do socks first? Dammit, I wish I had another set of hands.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At January 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go for the socks, just until the temp is back to normal.

Heaps of time for blankie.

:)

 
At January 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Yarnsticksbooks said...

Love the Tofutsie.

Anything 4 ply I end up using 2.25 or 2.5mm needles. You want the gauge a little tighter so the socks don't wear out the second you put them on.

I'd be focusing on socks too. No way am I touching a blanket when it's hot. Forget about the fact that I work on jumpers then though ;p

 
At January 25, 2009 at 7:22 AM , Blogger Sue said...

Thanks ladies, the weather has been shockingly hot hasn't it! Any excuse for socks. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home